TECH main core 8-bits HD63b03X manages 8 voices polyphony based on DWGS Digital Waveform Generator System subtractive synthesis.
STRUCTURE each voice is composed by 2 oscillators DCO + 1 white noise circuit with variable parameters:
- octave set 16' / 8' / 4'
- pitch detune.
WAVETABLE the 256 kb ROM (4X EPROMS) contains 16 short-cycled spectral 8-bits PCM waveforms: sawtooth, square, piano, electric piano (x2), clavinet, organ, brass, sax, violin, guitar, electric guitar, bass, digital bass, bell and whistle.
TECH: It seems to be possible to hack the internal EPROMS to change the waves.
(upper) DWGS number 6 on tube-vacuum oscilloscope
PERFORMANCE the system handles voices in various playmodes:
- poly1 rotate sequentially the 8 voices in constant order
- poly2 same as poly1 but restarts from first voice
- unison1 retriggers the EG when a key is pressed
- unison2 only the first key activates the EG
- aftertouch be assigned to filter, amplitude or LFO depth
- joystick can be assigned to pitch, LFO frequency and VCF cutoff
- interval transposes the OSC2 pitch to keep a constant interval above first OSC values: minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th and unison.
FILTER based on analog 8 X NJM2069 (same found on Korg Poly-800 which is paraphonic)
Lowpass resonant VCF at -24 dB/Oct and polarity inversion.
Section features a primitive Keytrack system and 4 fixed rates: 0 / 25 / 50 / 100 %.
LFO a single delayed modulator MG (shapes: triangle, square saw-up and saw-down) and 2 destinations:
- OSC 1 & 2 pitches (not individual)
- VCF cutoff.
ENVELOPE 3 EGs:
VCA: 4 segments + 2 times (ADBSSR)
VCF: 4 segments + 2 times with polarity inversion
- autoBend: simple pitch EG (OSC1 / OSC2 or both) 2 modes up / down.
EFFECT 12 bits digital delay with 2 - 512 ms time range able to generate short delays and chorus.
Time can be set in coarse of fine mode as well as total feedback.
slots in RAM patches.
Sounds library can be saved to either Midi sysex dump or magnetic tape. System works with a 3V CR-2032 soldered to the mainboard, you have to disassamble the whole keyboard and remove board KLM-661-3.
UPGRADE third-part companies projected some hardware boards that adds some new functions like split, key transpose, random LFO and more.
EDITORS there are some free and commercial editors for DW8000:
- Soundquest (MAC/PC $$)
- ctrlr (PC LINUX)
- DW8000 Patch Editor (old PC OS free)
EX-8000 RELATED MODELS:
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set, NO OFFICIAL PLUGIN EMULATOR: