TECH a 8-bits CPU (labeled CPU-06) manages up to 6 voices polyphony.
A voice is composed by 2 DCO at 16' to 4' octaves with individual gain mix, pitch and balancing.
SYNTHESIS each oscillator DCO can be assigned to a 2 kinds of synthesis between:
- wavetable subtractive PCM (1)
- digital additive (2).
WAVETABLE the internal 32 Kb ROM (check SP37 + SP38 EPROM) contains 32 (+1 noise ) short cycled waves coded at 8-bits.
The PCM are organized in 2 groups:
- PCM mathematically generated waves square, sinewave and sawtooth.
- PCM acoustic transients piano, brass, organ, bell, guitar, plucked, string, trumpet, guitar, slap, hammered tine, metallic wave, digital harmonic, pipe, glocken, harpsichord and sax.
FULL wavetable list HERE.
(above) first k3 wave on vacuum tube oscilloscope
ADDITIVE process sums sinewavel waveforms at variable intensities from 32 harmonics out of 128 available. There are 31 intensity levels for each selected harmonic, this process is defined step by step then created harmonics combination is saved to a specfic memory slot.
PERFORMANCE it is possible to assign the 6 voice polyphony in 2 performance modes:
- split: 2 sounds are assigned
- unison: stacks voices with monophonic mode and portamento (but no possible detune).
The aftertouch can be individually assigned to 3 parameters each with 15 levels:
- balance: determines the relationship between pressure and mix balance between OSC1 and OSC2
- VCF: between pressure and filter cutoff
- VCA: between pressure and amplitude.
FILTER analog resonant filter is multimode:
- lowpass at 4 poles based on famous chip SSM 2044
- static highpass.
VCF keyscale determines the relationship between keyboard scale and cutoff.
LFO a single delayed modulator and 3 destinations:
- LFO to pitch
- LFO to filter
- LFO to amplitude.
The modulator features 5 shapes:
triangle, saw, square, random and random chromatic (which is more linear than classic random).
ENVELOPE 2 scaled analog EGs based on BA6110 chip:
- EG amplitude 4-segments ADSR
- EG filter 4-segments ADSR.
VCA Keyscale function determines relationship between keyboard scale and amplitude.
EFFECT stereo chorus based on Panasonic BBD MN3009 + MN 3011 generate different chorus effects and a kind of very short timed simulated delay. This particolar chorus can be found also many famous Roland synthesizers e.g Jx3p, Alpha Juno, Juno 106 ...
50 RAM slots.
doubled if cartridge model Kawai RC-2 is present, patch and additive combinations can be also saved to sysex Midi Dump.
Battery replacement : a 3V cr2032is soldered to the mainboard.
EDIT programming on display is pretty annoying, fortunately there are many external softwares:
Midiquest / Soundquest (PC / MAC commercial)
caged (for Atari ST) PIC
- Kawai K3 table editor (for atari 400/800XL) PIC
- K3 / K3M programmer for Lemur system
- Ctrlr K3 template -PIC BELOW
or hardware sysex controllers with template like:
- Behringer BCR 2000
- Kenton Freak (LINK)
- stereo ping (LINK)
k3m rackmount - same without keyboard, lacks handy data wheel.
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set:
Emulation of K3 but also:
|No longer officially available