SOUND main core 8-bits HD63b03X manages 8 voices polyphony based on DWGS Digital Waveform Generator System subtractive synthesis.
Each voice is composed by 2 oscillators DCO + 1 white noise circuit with variable parameters:
- octave set 16' / 8' / 4'
- pitch detune.
WAVETABLE the 256 kb ROM (4X EPROMS) contains 16 short-cycled spectral 8-bits PCM waveforms: saw, square, piano, electric piano (x2), clavinet, organ, brass, sax, violin, guitar, electric guitar, bass, digital bass, bell and whistle.
TECH: It seems to be possible to hack the internal EPROMS to change the waves.
DWGS number 6 on tube-vacuum oscilloscope
PERFORMANCE the system handles voices in various playmodes:
- poly1 rotate sequentially the 8 voices in constant order
poly2 same as poly1 but restarts from first voice
- unison1 retriggers the EG when a key is pressed
- unison2 only the first key activates the EG
Some other performance functions:
- aftertouch be assigned to filter, amplitude or LFO depth
- joystick can be assigned to pitch, LFO frequency and VCF cutoff
- interval transposes the OSC2 pitch to keep a constant interval above first OSC values: minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th and unison.
FILTER based on analog 8 X NJM2069 (same found on Korg Poly-800 which is paraphonic)
Lowpass resonant VCF at -24 dB/Oct and polarity inversion.
Section features a primitive Keytrack system and 4 fixed rates: 0 / 25 / 50 / 100 %.
LFO a single delayed modulator MG (shapes: triangle, square saw-up and saw-down) and 2 destinations:
- OSC 1 & 2 pitches (not individual)
- VCF cutoff.
ENVELOPE 3 EGs:
VCA: 4 segments + 2 times (ADBSSR)
VCF: 4 segments + 2 times with polarity inversion
AutoBend simple pitch EG (OSC1 / OSC2 or both) 2 modes up / down
EFFECT a 12 bits digital delay is onboard with 2 - 512 ms time range able to generate short delays and chorus. Time can be set in coarse of fine mode as well as total feedback.
ARPEGGIATOR features 3 modes:
custom records up to 64 notes, in addition It is possible to set the octave range and a latch mode.
SYNC arpeggiator temp cam be set internally or synched to external Midi clock.
Battery replacement: System works with a 3V CR-2032 soldered to the mainboard.
Sounds library can be saved to Midi sysex dump or to magnetic tape.
UPGRADE third-part companies like Musitronics Turbo "DW800EX angel" projected some hardware boards (MODS) that adds some new functions like split, key transpose, random LFO and more:
- Splitting and Doubling Sounds
- Local off function
- Key Transpose, Random MG Waveform and Compare function
- Two MIDI Send- and Receive channels
- Compare and MIDI Program Change for all 128 Sounds.
EDITORS there are some free and commercial editors for DW-8000:
- Soundquest (MAC/PC $$)
- ctrlr (PC LINUX)
- DW8000 Patch Editor (old PC OS free)
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set, NO OFFICIAL PLUGIN EMULATOR:
DW8000 sample pack
Emulation of DW but also Kawai K3 and Ensoniq ESQ1
|No longer available
Emulation of Ensoniq SQ80
(no more updated)