Transistor Rhythm 808 maybe the most famous drum machine in the world along with the Tr909.
Created by the Japanese dream team: Makoto Murio, Matsuoka and Nakamura.
LAPTOP (weight: 5 kg) black case, design in orange and red color gradations.
The main panel features 2 buttons, 18 tactile buttons, 8 switches, 6 encoders and 27 knobs.
Back panel terminal connectors: master out with double impedance low/high, 11 individual outputs jacks, 3 trigger outs (generating +5V pulses) and a double pedal switch input:
Power supply is internal.
VOICE main core based on a CPU UPD650C-085 special custom Roland (version 0.85) manages 11 analog channels with individual gain mix.
SOUNDS the 808 generates 16 instruments which 8 of them are circuit-shared :
- BD Kick : TONE (pitch) and DECAY parameters. - SN Snare: TONE (pitch) and SNAPPY (white noise filter). - LC/LT Low Tom or Low Conga: tuning - MC/MT MID Conga or Mid TOM: tuning - HC/HT HIGH Conga or High Tom: tuning - CL/RS Claves or Rimshot:no control
- MA/CP Maracas or Claps: no control - CB Cowbell: no control - CY Cymbal: tone and decay - OH Open Hihat: decay - CH Closed Hihat.
SEQUENCER there are 2 ways to enter notes: 1 - REALTIME: select an instruments, start the machine and hit TAP button. 2- STEP IN: start and push one of the 16 switches steps
Each part is split in A-B segment and the step number adjustable up to 16 * 2 parts then patterns are chained to make a whole SONG.
QUICK PROGRAMMING GUIDE
1. Stop the rhythm with the START/STOP button.
Set the MODE selector to PATTERN CLEAR.
2. Select either the A or B Mode (VARIATION) and create a pattern
with the STEP buttons and the VARIATION switches.
3. Press the CLEAR button
4. Set the MODE selector to PATTERN WRITE 1st PART.
5. Press the START/STOP button
6. Choose the PRE-SCALE
7. Press the CLEAR button (you have now memorized the scaling)
8. While pressing the CLEAR button, press the key for steps.
9. Choose the instrument with the INSTRUMENT/TRACK selector.
10. Press the steps that are to be programmed
11. Program the other instrument sounds and ACCENT by repeating
steps (9) and (10).
12. Press the START/STOP button when programming has been
SYNC internal frequency clock range from 33 to 300 BPM or external sync (5-DINS) at 24 PPQ compliant with other machines like Tr606, Mc202 or Tb303.
MEMORY holds a maximum of 64 patterns and 768 measures.
Non-volatile if 1.5V batteries are present.
MODIFICATION modded with
these following new features:
-Midi fitted Midi IN with Velocities and midi OUT for controlling other units.
- CLOCK Can be clocked also to traditional Sync 24 or synched to an external Midi clock.
(click to enlarge PIC)
Roland Aira 08: announcent in first of 2014 as the new tr808 successor, digital circuit with modern facilities.
Studio electronics "HARVEY" a smart rackmount operation by SE. They did a lot of similar job with other machine like P5 (prophet5) or OBIE rack.
CLONES, SAMPLES and PLUGINS the 808 still sought-after and have many hardware clones around such as: