VOICE the Coldfire processor manages 8 voices polyphony.
A voice is composed by 3 oscillators with individual settings:
- fine pitch tuning
- mix level
- stereo panning position
- monophonic with portamento and glissando
- stacked voice option (up to 8 in unison mode)
- analog drift emulates the transistor VCO temperature drift.
OSCILLATOR main synthesis system is based on 3 digital oscillators plus a pink / white noise.
The oscillators feature 3 waveforms:
triangle / sawtooth
pulse with variable width
Special waveshape smooths progressively a wave to pure sinewave.
SYNC OSC harmonic contents can be altered by 4 processes:
- FM frequency modulation: an oscillator controls the frequency of another with variable depth. The FM offers 6 presets models (3 linear + 3 exponential)
- ringmodulator is quite standard with variable depth
- hardsynch: master osc restarts the period of the slave one following 2 modes (refer to table)
- softsync: blends more smoothly the harmonics, also 2 different pathmodes (refer to table).
||osc 2 -> osc 1 + osc 2
||osc 3 -> osc 1 + osc 2
||osc 2 - > osc 1
||osc 2 + osc 3 -> osc 1
PERFORMANCE these are the "setups" with several playmode features:
2 split zones
- patterns: are looped sequences or arpeggios (see below)
rhythms programmed drum loops
- 3 curves playmode: linear, exponential and logarithmic
FILTER 2 multimode indipendent resonant digital filters at 2/3/4/6/8 poles.
can be chained in any order in parallel or series, and special prefilter function defines the amount of sources send to the filters. There are 21 filter models including standard classic like 2/4 lowpass and special ones like formant or special resonance. FULL filter LIST
ENVELOPE 3 EGs for each oscillator:
- EG1 amplitude
- EG2 filter
- EG3 pitch / AUX modulation (assignable).
Each EG is defined by a 4-segment ADSR plus some 2 extra parameters: attack and decay have different a linear or exponential initial shape and once an EG is engaged, the segments can be looped at definable points or retriggered from start or left in continous free flown mode.
LFO each OSC features bipolar 2 modulators (0,010 – 1000 Hz) with same specs:
- frequency sync with tempo dividers
to patterns or Midi clock
- sample & hold mode with lag smooth
LFO features 4 shapes:
triangle + 90 degrees phase shifted variation
+ 90 degrees phase shifted variation
- sine + 90 degrees phase shifted variation
- square + 90 degrees phase shifted variation.
TRACKING GENERATOR a special 12 / 16 step grid can be drawn to define a special motion for 38 parameters for special moving texture effects.
MATRIX modulation is really completed, here's roughly the possible routings:
|- LFO waveforms
- assignable sliders
- MIDI CC#
- expression pedal
- portamento level
- sample & hold
| pitch osc1-2-3
- pitch whole/individual with limited octave range
- osc waveshape
- FM amount
- ringmodulation / noise amount
- sample & hold
SEQUENCER patterns can be recorded in 2 manners:
real-time mode (records also knobs movements)
- step by step.
Some classic edit functions: velocity edit, duration change, move note, cancel...
The drum editor works in real-time or uses the special grid mode: 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2 or 4 bars
and resolution at 8, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24, or 32 step per bar.
ARPEGGIATOR this functions includes 6 arpeggio motions:
up, down, up and down, up + inclusive (pendulum mode), down + exclusive (does not play lowest and highest notes) and octave jump.
SYNC arpeggiator, drums editor and sequencer can be synched internally or by Midi clock.
Tempo frequency can be set manually or defined by tap tempo.
EFFECT 3 DSP sections:
- FX1: chorus, flanger, phaser and a 40-band vocoder (seems derived from Alesis Metavox effect)
- FX2: delay (mono or stereo) and reverb (plate, room and hall).
- boost: FX1 + FX2 outputs can be boosted by distortion, overdrive, fuzz and compressor
500 ROM presets
- 500 RAM
200 rhythm patterns.
EDITOR there are some computer-based editors:
- hypersynth: complete but commercial (LINK)
- ctrlr editor: free but lacks matrix control (LINK)
Alesis Micron Blue Limited edition same machine but different colors.
Alesis Ion bigger with more real-time controls, but essentially the synthesis engine is the same, in fact machines are patch-compatible but FX section, rhythm and patterns VIDEO
||Akai Miniak - is a Micron repackaging with same engine, but different performance set and vocoder VIDEO