TECH the main core based is an Intel 8-bits 80186 which manages 16 channels polyphony; DAC is a Burr Brown PCM54HP.
Basically the machine records a sample and assign it to a pad with no special synthesis elements e.g filter, LFO. Internal sampling engine is based on a 12 bits which recording frequency range is fixed to 40 kHz.
Sound edit system includes some sample edit functions:
- volume gain set
- sample tuning range from -12 to +6
- a mini EG for amplitude with Attack + Decay segments
- mono / poly / gated sample play modes
- sample trim process (PIC)
- assign 2 or 3 samples to a single pad with possible velocity switch threshold.
PERFORMANCE some handy functions:
- FULL LEVEL: plays all pads at full gain velocity
- NOTE VARIATION slider: a real-time controller changes the decay, tuning, attack of a sample
- 16 LEVELS: assign a sound to all pads with 16 variation of a single parameter (volume / tuning for chromatic play / decay / attack)
- NOTE REPEAT synched rolls or fills for recording
TRIGGER set allows to play a single set from external source
- DRUM MIX special screen with overview mix, analog ouputs assigned as well as management of send/return to hook external FX unit.
SEQUENCER each track can be assigned to internal sounds or external Midi channel (it also handles exclusive systems).
The MPC60 sequencer is famous to be quite easy to use with great swing mode from 50 to 75% and a precise quantsization (1/8, 1/8T, 1/16, 1/16T,1/32 , 1/32T). MPC Patterns can be recorded either in real-time or step-by-step with some edit functions including: change signature, loopmode, solo mode, overdub, punch IN, shift offset, tempo change, erase and copy.
A special TOOL (FREE) for 3.1 allows to convert MPC sequences to standard SMF Midi files.
SYNC internal tempo range from 30 to 300 BPM can slave-synched to: external Midi clock, SMPTE, external trigger and FSK24.
MIDI each pad can be assigned to a different MIDI note for external triggering and some basic Control changes... nothing too fancy.
OS Originally early OS cannot handle samples longer than 5 seconds, but this limit has been removed with latest OS 3.10, as well as mono sampling adding a special "pseudo stereo mode" albeit the MPC hardware is of course still monophonic.
ALTERNATIVE OS the VIMANA 3.15 is a special OS developped by third-part with different functions. It can be changed swapping 4 EPROMS. We do not tested it, so we have NO INFORMATION about this one.
- Click above - for boot screen picture
750kB sampling memory, doubled if optional memory board EXM003 is fitted (or clones)
special companded mod" doubles sample time with quality loss (only for 3.10)
- 8 programs (each contains 16 sounds per bank / up to 4 banks)
- 128 sounds (only 34 for OS lower than 3.1)
- 20 songs
- 99 sequences
- 99 tracks
- max 60000 events.
UPPER memory board EXM003
STORAGE data can be saved to floppy 720Kb drive or special 793 Kb format (unrealiable effects on PC). Optional SCSI is available, typical is Iomega zip.
MPC-60 II a new relook from 1991 with plastic case and extra headphones out. Quite the same.
||ASQ-10 a sidekick sequencer with same design.
MPC-3000 The MPC3000 is the spiritual son but sounds different with 16 bits / 44kHz.
This machine was the last cooperation between LINN and AKAI, which dropped him after this one. After 3000 model Akai made out some other models: MPC2000 / 2000XL (2000) - MPC4000 (2002) - MPC1000 (2005) - MPC2500 (2005) - MPC500 (2006) - MPC5000 (2008) - MPC renaissance (2012)
FULL MPC FAMILY SUMUP HERE
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set:
sample pack of SCI dave smith tempest analog drum machine (WAV)
FREE sample pack of Korg VOLCA BEAT (WAV)
Marcel the cat using the Mpc60 Akai