VOICE main core based on a Motorola MC 68000 manages up to 32 channels polyphony with six 16 bits PCM56P DAC. A voice is composed by 2 PCM elements samples "primary" and "secondary" with some edit parameters:
pitch tuning (fine and coarse)
- keyzone assignment
- start delay
- stereo panning
- reverse playback
- chorus mode (it thicks voice).
WAVETABLE internal 4Mb ROM (8 X rom ICs) 125 PCM waves at 39 kHz / 16 bits resolution.
PCM wavetable is focused on world ethnics instruments e.g. mizmar, bagpipe, bandoleon, santur, dulcimer, gaman, flutes, udu, digeridoo, kalimba but also a bunch of basic waveforms (digital, square, harmonics, short-cycled). Full instrument list, organized by world continent-
EXPANSION some different upgrades were available:
- XR: extra RAM adds 192 new slots
- Plus Orchetral extra rom adds 4 MB of orchestral sounds (same found on PROTEUS 2 module)
Invision Protologic third part board with 4MB extra ROM.
PERFORMANCE up to 16 parts with some special functions:
- solo monophonic mode (for OSC1/OSC2/BOTH)
- crossfade balance between primary and secondary
- pitchbend range (+/- 1 OCT)
3 footswitch assignable controls (eg: sustain, portamento, hold...)
- key velocity control
- scale tuning 5 presets (equal, vallotti, just C, 19 tone, gamelan) + 1 user free.
LFO 2 delayed modulators (shapes: sin, triangle, saw, square and random) for pitch with variable amount and random fluctuation.
ENVELOPE there are 3 EGS (structure : 4 segments + 2 times, called DAHDSR which standas for: Delay, Attack, Hold, Decay, Sustain, and Release). Special "Alternate" mode plays the EG forward and then Backward.
- EG primary sample amplitude
- EG secondary sample amplitude
- AUX (assignable) EG can be assigned to the matrix control (see below)
In addition 4 preset velocity curves.
MIDI full sysex commands and some basic CC controls including: panning, modulation and 4 assignable controllers ABCD (see "matrix" below).
MATRIX the "real-time control" allows some special modulation routings:
Midi Control A/B/C/D
all EG segments osc1/osc2/both
LFO 1 amount /rate
LFO 2 amount /rate
sample start osc1/osc2/both
128 ROM patches
64 RAM slots
Sounds can be saved only using Midi sysex, no external medias.
Battery replacement: soldered Lithium BR2-3 3V battery (see picture below)
MAINTENANCE 2 common issues:
- DISPLAY: is not uncommon to split dead black zones on the display.
ENCODER: after some times the encoder may go berserk just clean it with Q-tip and dedicated liquid product.
|Display seems to get dark in some corners
|| Encoder simply skips values and needs cleaning
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set:
||we have just a few demo for now, if you want to contribute, UPLOAD your proteus 2 sounds