TECH CPU 8-bits UPD 78310G manages 16 voices polyphony based on samples synthesis DMS tone generation. DAC is a Burr Brown PCM66P.
a basic K4 patch is composed 1 or 2 PCM samples or sources that can be set and routed to filter in 3 possible modes:
RINGMODULATOR matched pair of oscilaltors sources can be ringmodulated by DIGITAL AM PROCESS in 2 ways:
A- source 1 -> source 2
B- source 3 -> source 4.
PCM WAVETABLE internal 16 bits ROM contains 256 waves split into 2 categories:
- 96 PCM DC digital cyclic: mathematically precalculated fundamental and basic waveforms e.g sinusoidal, analog square, voice formants, organ additive and some short transients.
- 160 PCM acoustic samples categorized into 4 subgroups: drums, multi, block and reverse & loop.
Full PCM list HERE
PERFORMANCE the 16 voice polyphony structure can be assigned to 8 parts each with individual settings:
- split zone
shift / transpose
FILTER IC K008-FP handles 2 digital resonant filters featuring a -12 dB slope each.
Filters can be chained in serial or parallel mode and scream at high resonance value, which is by the way quantized into 7 scaled steps. Another useful function is the Key tracking mode at 50% cutoff value to lower or higher octaves.
ENVELOPE 6 EGs:
- 1 EG FILTER 1: 3 segments + 1 time level
- 1 EG
FILTER 2: 3 segments + 1 time level
- 1 EG (for each SOURCE) amplitude: a 3-segments + 2 time levels.
TIP: The sounds can be played following 8 different non-editable velocity curves.
LFO single delayed main modulator (shapes: triangle, saw, square and random) and 3 destinations:
- LFO to pitch
- LFO to filter 1
- LFO to filter 2.
A simplified second LFO acts as a vibrato sharing same LFO1 waverform.
EFFECT the internal DSP features 32 patches combinations e.g. reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and distortion/overdrive.
64 RAM slots for patches
64 RAM performances.
Sounds and setting may be saved to standard Midi sysex dump or recorded to Kawai RAM cards model Kawai DC-16 and DC-32.
EDIT there are many programmers for computer :
Soundquest (commercial PC/MAC) PIC
Sounddiver (out of business)
- K4 WIN (shareware old PC) PIC
K4 patch editor (freeware old PC) PIC
- K4 editor (freeware ATARI ST) PIC
- Musicode K4 Voice Development System (? ATARI ST)
- K4 editor (shareware Commodore AMIGA) PIC
- K4/K4R Ipad editor (commercial IOS) PIC BELOW
K4 MODIFICATION It is possible to circuitbent the k4 for some experimental glitches effect... if you're into digital textures or noises.
Some random bending noises HEAR.
|| K4R rackmount version. More analog outs, but lacks the FX DSP.
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there are some free and commercial samples set:
||VIRTUAL K4 offers a kind of emulation based on samples.
However 2 major problems:
It needs an old AWE32 soundcard for DCF filter emulation and It does not seem to work from Windows XP to higher.
| High Quality Sound
|| custom sounds
|| sound demo