VOICE core is based on a CPU Motorola 68302 at 16 MHz manages 32 voices polyphony - 18 bits resolution DAC model AD1865N.
Full rompler core, a S2/S3 patch is composed by 1 or 2 PCM samples that can be combined in 3 modes:
- SO single: 1 oscillator.
- DO dual: 2 layered oscillators with volume balancing.
- DC dual: system crossfades 2 times same PCM for better wave rendering.
WAVETABLE the 3 non-expandable ROMS contain 209 PCM coded at 41,7 kHz sampling rate and 16 bits resolution.The ROM wavetable is
organized into 16 instrument categories (piano, reed, string, effects, chromatic, pipe, ensemble, ethnic, organ, synth lead, brass, percussive, guitar, synt pad, bass and drumkit).
Excluding the traditional GM Midi set, the S2/S3 features some waveforms inspired from classic analog synthesizers like Elka Synthex, SCI Prophet 5 or Roland Jupiter 8.
Full wavetable LIST.
UPGRADE the TURBOKIT is an expansion board with some new
features and enhancements including the sample translator which is a tool for samples import. Well, don't forget the sticker uh!
Download the Turbokit Manual Install procedure
SAMPLES IMPORT is available only if turbo option is fitted which adds 3 import modes:
floppy disk MS- DOS & Atari ST format supports .wav .aiff and Avalon
- floppy disk Akai S1000 format
standard SDS Midi dump.
FILTER 2 independent resonant multimode filters, each provides a -12 dB per octave slope and combined they operate as a single 4-poles filter:
- parametric boost / cut.
LFO up to 2 interchangeable and Midi syncable modulators (shapes: sinewave, triangle, sawtooth, square, random and sample & hold) and 4 destinations:
LFO to amplitude
- LFO to pitch
- LFO to filter 1 / filter 2.
ENVELOPE 2 EGs :
- EG 1 amplitude: 10 segments when note engaged + 10 others when key is released
- EG 2 filter: 10 segments when note engaged + 10 others when key is released.
It is possible to select also a 1 / 3 /6 macro segments all edited graphically using the data encoder.
EFFECTS the DSP DISP1 handles 2 main engines:
- DSP 1 is dedicated to reverb and echoes
- DSP 2 is focuses to modulation like chorus, flanger, phaser and organ rotary speaker.
Full effects DSP1 / DSp2 LIST.
PERFORMANCE GEM MIOS is a multi-thread Kernel manages 16 parts with individual settings:
dynamic zone split
- microtonal control
10 scale presets (FULL LIST) + 4 users.
SEQUENCER is a 16 tracks Midi SMF compliant.
Some standard edit functions such as copy, insert, delete, quantisizer and microscope edit.
Hear - Imported SMF Midi files "firelord" music game, Commodore 64 hit.
MIDI many CC# are supported but MIOS cannot handle extended Midi Sysex.
Full control change LIST.
- 250.000 notes
- 16 songs
- 512 Kb sample RAM up to 2Mb using additional SRAM UPD431000 (VIDEO)
Data can be saved only to disk HD 3.5” formatted at special 1,62 Megabytes file system.
MAINTENANCE there are 3 common issues:
- BATTERY famous internal Ni-cad 3.6V battery leakage. To replace it unsolder the battery, clean the board from the acid-salt and eventually replace it with a fresh one.
- ENCODER jumping encoder needs cleaning with q-tips and an appropriate liquid solution .
- DISK DRIVE may fail, try a good cleaning first. It should be possible also to install an USB emulator in the future.
|"I am in your board, killing your synth"
GEM S series FAMILY
S2R rackmount version- TURBO native option is fitted
SX2 should be a scaled down S2 version with arranger and resonant filter.
Not much info about this one, but on this VIDEO I heard some quite similar sounds.
||EQUINOX the spiritual son with better memory handling, sounds from WK6/8 series, drawbars function,16mb ROM , better DSP and much more VIDEO
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION
||Sadly there is no reliable sample sources nor VST plugins.
We will make some free S2 sounds soon or later.
In the meantime if you want to share some