VOICE main core based on a 8-bits Motorola 6809 CPU manages 6 channels polyphony.
Each voice is composed by 2 (quite) identical DCO oscillators based on 6 X CEM 3396 IC (big body version). Below an oscillator table sum-up
||pulse / saw / wave / both*
||pulse / saw / wave / noise / both*
||yes 1>2 (3 modes)
||yes (mix 1/2)
||yes (mix 1/2)
|key click sound
* range value is from 0 to 63: 0 is the sawtooth, 63 the triangle. Middle values are combo mixes of saw/triangle (waveshaping)
PERFORMANCE a LOT of useful functions;
- bender lever can be assigned to pitch DCO1 / DCO2 / both
- modulation lever can be assigned to
LFO / VCF cutoff
- 3 modes portamento generator
(for pitch or cutoff)
- keyboard split in 2 zones "LOWER" and "UPPER"
- voice split / dual modes: 2+4 / 4+2 / 6+0 / 0+6 ("0" to splillover data by Midi)
- unison stack mode (6 voices, no detune)
- master tune (also autotune function)
- key velocity to VCF
- 3 voices rotate modes
- 3 keyboard response curves : linear + 2 exponential
- calibration mode for DOC and VCF
FILTER the system take advantage of the Curtis 3396 from the DCO which includes a 4 poles resonant filter. The VCF can auto-oscillate and consequently modulate the DCO1 by Frequency Modulation process. It follows the FM basic principle like Yamaha DX-7 but in this case the DCO1 is the modulator and the VCF is the carrier.
ENVELOPE 3 EGs (4 segments + 1 delay time + 1 main level)
- EG1 is assigned into the matrix control
- EG2 is routed to amplitude by default but can be re-assigned by matrix control
- EG3 is be assigned into the matrix control
The 3 EGs are triggered in 4 modes: retrigger, free flown, reset. lfo + external signal.
In addition 2 RAMP GENERATORS: a kind of EG-triggers with only attack portion which can be defined using the RATE parameter. Finally 2 dynamic VCA controllers (linear or exponential) also generated by the Curtis IC.
LFO there are basically 2 modulators (shapes: sawtooth up / down, triangle, square, random, S&H and noise) with variable depth, 3 retrig modes and lag mode.
- LFO1 : destinations can be freely assigned into the matrix modulation
- LFO2 : destinations can be freely assigned into the matrix modulation
A third slimmed-down LFO3 acts as a simple vibrato with individual depth, frequency and same shapes.
MATRIX the computerized section is a kind of signal router previously implemented in more expensive Matrix 12: a totally open structure! each sound manages up to 10 combinations between 20 sources and 32 destinations (see table below)
TRAKING GENERATOR function tracks and transform one of the 20 modulation matrix sources (the INPUT) through 5 defined points, then the final shaped result is the OUTPUT. Each tracking point has 63 different values and can be smoothed using a lag process.
|EG 1 / 2 / 3
LFO 1 / 2
ramp generator EG 1 / 2
pedal 1 / 2
modulation lever (bipolar)
pitch lever (bipolar)
keyboard velocity / aftertouch
|pitch DCO1 / DCO2
pulse width DCO1 / DCO2
waveshape DCO1 / DCO2
EG1 delay /attack / decay / release / amp
EG2 delay /attack / decay / release / amp
LFO1 frequency / depth
LFO2 frequency / depth
DCO1 / DCO2 balancing
MIDI basic contro changes, but full sysex implementation. Some controls:
- program change
- pedals and levers can be CC# re-assigned
- it is possible to assign 2 Midi channel to lower and upper part (bitimbric).
100 patch slots
- 50 split zones configurations
Sounds can be saved to Midi exclusives dump or by tape.
Battery replacement: CR-2032 in battery holder, easy to replace.
EDITOR here's a selection of both free and commercial Matrix 6 /6r editor (generally also model 1000).
- Midiquest (PC/MAC, commercial)
- DR.T Matrix editor (ATARI ST screenshot)
- M1000X (MAC , free)
- Synlib (free)
- Oberheim Matrix Patch Editor (FREE, max MSP)
- Ctrlr editor (free)
- Obiex401 (free, DOS old PC)
- Patch Touch (IOS, commercial)
MATRIX 6R rackmount version, keeps same characteristics
||MATRIX 1000 hyper compressed Matrix6 technology keeping similar structure but different board. Interface is even more limited and deep edit is not possible from panel. Considered more as a "preset" matrix with no less than 1000 sounds on board. Matrix 6 and 1000 are compatible.
Also a later "white face" version VIDEO
||MATRIX 12 concept started with this classic huge expensive synthesizer with impressive finish and many more tweaks VIDEO
||ACCESS MATRIX PROGRAMMER same concept as the MICROWAVE PROGRAMMER
Sadly it features a limited edit (no matrix access) and it can be replaced by any computer editor - check out list below- VIDEO
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there is NO official Matrix6 / 6R VST plugin emulator.
Here is a selection of free samples sources and related plugins:
||OPX PRO II
Classic Oberheim sound from 70
WE DO SELL THE MATRIX 6 long time ago and don't have much demos, il you have some and want to contrinute, we would be happy to publish 'em with credits :) thanks - UPLOAD FORM
*Ultima IV is a game by Origin, music by Kenneth. W. Arnold WIKI-LINK
Soundcloud Oberheim Matrix 6
VIDEO CLIP SELECTION