TECH main core based on 8 bits CPU HD64180 manages 16 voices polyphony, each voice is composed by 1 digital oscillators with an assigned sampled or digitally generated sound.
STRUCTURE: DSM1 features 2 kind of syntheses:
- sampling at 12 bits resolution (1)
- additive harmonic synthesis (2).
SAMPLING the DSM engine samples at 12 bits and 4 fixed frequencies (check table below), once sampled there are some standard sample edit functions such as : reverse, merge, chain samples (LINK) truncate, loop, crossfade, copy and zone assign (up to 30 samples can be mapped).
||Sampling time (seconds)
||24 semitones up
||17 semitones up
||12 semitones up
||05 semitones up
ADDITIVE is a non real-time process based on 128 sinewave harmonics with adjustable level. This process also includes 17 preset shapes: square, sawtooth (x3) , organ, metal, sax, synthesizer, bass, sinewave, EP (x2).
TIP: Created waves can be saved as normal samples.
MEMORY the internal sample non-expandable memory is 1 megabyte.
Sounds and samples can be stored to primitive 1,44 Mb floppy drive but it is possible to install a more modern USB emulator disk (like HxC).
There are 32 slots for sound patch programs and 32 multi-sounds.
PERFORMANCE unit manages up to 4 parts some special features:
- Midi channel
- semitones shift
- keyboard zone
- allocated voices
- poly or mono mode
- part volume
- part tuning
- up to 16 split points
- multimode layer: 2 x layer / split 2 / split 4 / single / multi
- trigger input: sets a threshold to playback a sample.
FILTER resonant lowpass analog filter based on 16 chips NJM-2069 (same found on Korg Poly 800 but not paraphonic of course) at -24 d/B slopes.
Proportional Keyboard tracking function is implement into the VCF section.
LFO 2 triangle-shaped delayed modulators "MG" (Modulation Generator) and 2 destinations: osc pitch and filter cutoff. The modulators are retriggered at each note press, relative frequency is quantized into 32 values with variable depth amount.
ENVELOPE 2 EGs based on VCA each with 4 segments + 2 times:
- EG1 amplitude
- EG2 filter cutoff (bipolar)
DSS1 features also a bipolar AUTOBEND function for the pitch on a range of time + 2 slimmed-down EGs for the VCF/VCA touch sensibility.
MIDI basic control change, but all parameters can be controlled using Exclusives hex strings.
The DSM1 handles Midi-dump samples bidirectionally (sadly non-totally compliant to SDS sample dump protocol).
DSM1 MAINTENANCE & MODIFICATION
Common issues are:
- backlight LCD may need a new life.
- faulty Sony floppy drive may need replacement
MODIFICATION other common upgrades : for a short period, a third-part company with SCSI OPTION.
EDITORS there are some free and commercial computer-based editors:
- SpazTech for Korg DSM-1 (old MAC, FREE) PIC
- Digidesign Turbosynth (Atari ST) PIC
- Turtle Beach samplevision (for old PC ->no more available) PIC
- Midiquest (PC/MAC, commercial) PIC
- Clyphx (Ableton script)
- Edit DSS (Atari ST, no more available) PIC
- Softynth Digidesign (Atari ST, no more available) PIC
- VSTizer DSS-1 (plugin, commercial) Pic below
KORG DSS-1 more or less the keyboard version with some differences:
DSM1 VS DSS1:
- DSM1 has HD disk1,6 mb VS DD 880kb
- DSM1 has more RAM (4 times more )
- DSM1 has more 15 analog outs
- DSM1 has no OSC sync (ouch!)
- DSM1 has only 4 poles filter VS. 2/4 mode
- DSM1 ha no resonance Q (big miss!)
- DSM1 has no delay engine
- DSM1 has no "DRAW waveform" function
- DSM1 has more additive presets
- DSM1 manages 4 parts vs 1 DSS1s
- DSM1 features 1 VCF per oscillator / DSS1 1 VCF per VOICE (2 oscillators)
- DSM1 D/A resolution is fixed to 12 bits, DSS1 can be changed also to lo-fi 8/10/7/6 bits
- DSM1 has no noise generator
VST PLUGIN / SAMPLED VERSION there is no plugin VST / reliable DSM1 samples sounds available for the moment.
AUDIO DEMO (from DSS1, please send YOUR SAMPLES DEMOS)